Camera-mountable audio recorder with shotgun microphone
The DR-10SG is a mini recorder that weighs only 100 grams. It has an integrated shotgun microphone than can be placed on any camera with a hotshoe and will help beginners in particular to add sound to their DSLR video recordings. The recorder creates mono recordings in WAV/BWF format with a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz at a resolution of 16 or 24 bits or space-saving MP3-format recordings and offers automatic or manual level adjustment, a limiter, low-pass filter and EQ presets for different scenarios. It is also capable of dual recordings, with the second recording at a reduced level to protect against overloads and hence distortion.
A slate signal function and the ability to forward the sound signal to the camera simplify synchronisation during post-editing of the video material. The DR-10SG has a USB port for data exchange and is powered by a single AAA battery. A noise isolation arm and a wind shield for the microphone are included.
Capture audio that sounds as good as your image looks
Custom designed, high-performance shotgun microphone
An all-new shotgun capsule was designed by Tascam for the DR-10SG. The super-cardioid pickup pattern captures sound in the direction it is pointing while rejecting ambient noise and reverberation. The design of this microphone is purpose-built to pick up your subject's voice from your camera, without noise from traffic, surf, echo, and other distractions.
Four EQ presets to match the subject and setting
The DR-10SG's built-in equalizer tailors the recording to sound best in your environment. It includes the following four presets:
- NATURAL: Flat response for a natural-sounding recording.
- STANDARD: Standard EQ for a video camera shotgun mic, adding clarity.
- INTERVIEW: EQ optimized for voice recordings in interviews, conversations and similar scenes.
- FIELD: Ideal EQ for recording sound effects and other background sounds.
High-quality audio, simple to use
The DR-10SG provides digital recording with the convenience of a camera accessory. Detailed electrical design includes rejection of power supply and camera noise in a compact design. Controlled listening tests during the design stage led to consisent improvements in the design, from the best shotgun capsule design to the need for high-performance capacitors in the power supply.
Focus on the subject rather than wrestling equipment
Automatic level, limiter and other functions solve common recording level problems
If the input sound level is too low or too high, an automatic level function can increase or decrease the recording volume to an appropriate level. The limiter prevents distortion caused by sudden input overloads. These functions save you from worrying about recording level settings in situations when there is no second chance.
Record two files simultaneously at different levels
Film-making often involves sudden jumps in audio volume. An actor could decide to scream a line and a documentary subject could do almost anything. On a single-person shoot, the camera operator has enough to worry about without keeping their hand on the volume knob for level changes. The DR-10SG has several features to prevent distorted audio, but the most secure is Dual Recording. Dual Recording captures a copy of your signal at a lower level, as a safety track in case of distortion.
Special features for use with DSLR cameras
Camera shoe attachment with shockmount for maximum mobility
The built-in shoe mount adapter attaches the DR-10SG directly to the camera while staying out of your way. A floating shock mount mechanism sits between the recorder and the shoe mount, reducing vibration and other noise transmitted from the camera body.
Noise isolation arm for additional reduction of operation noise
The included noise isolation arm moves the recorder away from the camera, lens, and other sources of noise. This is especially useful to reduce noise generated by autofocus motors.
Record the same audio with a DR-10SG and your camera
The DR-10SG has an output jack for DSLR and video cameras. Connecting this to the camera allows it to record a copy of the sound that the DR-10SG picked up. This allows the audio recorded on camera to be higher quality, and makes it simple to synchronize audio with the video in your editing software. For compatibility with many cameras that come with different input sensitivities and levels, the DR-10SG has an output volume control to avoid distortion. A custom attenuation cable maximizes signal quality when a camera has just a mic-level input. The camera out jack can also be used as a headphones output.
Slate tone simplifies synchronization with video files
A built-in generator produces slate tones providing convenient reference points for lining up video and audio files after recording. Slate tones are automatically produced when recording starts and stops. The volume of slate tones can be set to OFF, LOW or HIGH. By connecting the DR-10SG back to the camera with the included cable, the camera’s video file also gets the slate tones. If you need perfect synchronization, zoom into your editing software and line up the sine waves.
Excellent usability and long battery operation time
Compact and lightweight body – including battery
The DR-10SG has been designed to be compact and lightweight to maintain mobility even when used on the lightest and smallest cameras. The single AAA battery lasts for hours and won't put a strain on the camera's shoe mount. And the whole unit is compact enough to be held with action cameras like the GoPro.
Operates for 8½ hours continuously on a single alkaline AAA battery
One easily obtained Alkaline AAA battery powers the DR-10SG for 8½ hours continuously. The DR-10SG can also use disposable lithium or rechargeable NiMH batteries.
Automatic file closing saves file data before the battery runs out
You can always monitor the battery level on the easy-to-read Organic EL display. If the battery runs out in the middle of a recording, the unit will automatically save the file before turning off so your take isn't lost. And the case is designed so that batteries can be changed quickly, without removing the recorder from the camera shoe mount.
- Cost-effective miniature audio recorder with shotgun microphone for DSLR cameras
- High-quality mono sound recording with easy setup
- Directly attachable to the camera with standard-size shoe mount
- Compact, lightweight chassis (only 110 g with battery)
- Shotgun microphone features super-cardioid directional pattern for clear direct sound even in noisy environments
- Records to microSD/microSDHC card (up to 32 GB)
- Mono/poly recording at 44.1/48 kHz sample rate and 16/24-bit resolution
- BWF-compatible WAV format allows inclusion of time information within audio files
- Recording and playback of MP3 format files
- Sampling rate: 44.1/48 kHz, resolution: 16/24 bits
- Bit rate: 128/192 kbit/s (recording), 32–320 kbit/s (playback)
- Auto or manual gain control
- Switchable limiter to prevent clipping
- Switchable low-cut filter conveniently reduces low-frequency noise
- EQ presets for different scenes of use
- Dual recording function allows two files to be recorded simultaneously at different levels to provide a safety track in case of distortion (level reduction for secondary recording selectable –6/–12 dB)
- Output connector to allow recording the audio also on the camera for later synchronization
- Slate tone generator to simplify synchronization of video files when editing
- Three LEDs for level monitoring
- Headphones connector for input monitoring and playback
- Name for recorded files can be set
- Floating structure to avoid operation noise
- USB 2.0 port for high-speed file transfer to computers
- Operates on one AAA battery (Alkaline, NiMH, Lithium) or USB bus power
- Included accessories:
- Isolation arm to reduce lens operation noise
- Windscreen to reduce noise in outdoor applications
|Recording media||MicroSD card (64 MB-2 GB)
MicroSDHC card (4-32 GB)
|Recording/playback formats||BWF-compatible WAV format, 44.1/48 kHz, 16/24 bits, mono/poly
MP3 format, 44.1/48 kHz, 128/192 kbit/s (recording) 32–320 kbit/s (playback)
|Input and output|
|Microphone input||Built-in shotgun mic|
|Input gain||0–50 dB (in 1-dB increments)|
|Camera connector||3.5-mm stereo mini jack
(dual mono audio output; an attenuator cable can be connected to reduce the output level)
|USB port||Micro-B connector|
|Format||USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED mass storage class|
|Frequency response||50 Hz – 20 kHz|
|S/N ratio||78 dB (+30 dB gain, A-weighting)|
|Power supply and other specifications|
|Power supply||1 AAA cell (alkaline battey, NiMH rechargeable or lithium battery)
USB bus power from a computer
|Power consumption||0.75 W (maximum)|
|Current consumption (via USB bus power)||0.15 A (maximum)|
|Approximate battery operation time in hours:minutes (continuous operation)||Conditions: Recording, headphones not connected, limiter off, dual recording off, file type: mono, file format: WAV, 48 kHz, 24 bit, recording time according to JEITA|
|Alkaline battery (Evolta)||8:30|
|Ni-MH rechargeable (Eneloop)||7:30|
|Lithium battery (Energizer Ultimate Lithium)||15:00|
|Date and time data retention||Secondary lithium battery (built-in)|
|Dimensions (w × h × d, excluding protrusions)||53 mm × 70 mm × 168 mm|
|Weight||110 g (including batteries)
98 g (excluding batteries)
|Operating temperature range||0–40 °C|
Design and specifications subject to change without notice.
Page last modified: 2021-01-12 15:20:14 UTC