Full HD Video Encoder, Decoder, Streamer and Recorder
VS-R264 and VS-R265 are AV-over-IP streaming encoders/decoders which offer simultaneous encoding, streaming, recording and decoding of audio/video material in 4K/UHD or Full HD resolution using the H.265/HEVC or H.264 video codecs. They can be used for transmissions over corporate networks and WANs or for live streaming into the internet plus automatic FTP upload of recorded files to network storage. Utilising open streaming formats and protocols, both models support Content Delivery Networks and online live platforms like YouTube, Wowza, Ustream, AWS Elemental MediaLive, CloudFront and others.
With power over Ethernet or external 12 Volt supply, HDMI in/out with audio embedding and de-embedding, and full control from a RESTful API allowing for integration into automation and control systems, these units are extremely versatile. Whereas many other products either lack professional audio levels or connectors, don’t record at all, or can’t simultaneously encode and decode, Tascam VS-R264 and VS-R265 sport fully balanced audio I/O via Euroblock connectors, with configurable reference levels for compatibility with professional audio systems. Unbalanced 3.5-mm stereo mini jacks are also provided for compatibility with consumer devices.
The bi-directional AV operation, live online streaming, secure capture to SD media then later upload for the web site, is ideal for live events, lectures, government sessions, boardroom presentations, concert venues and houses of worship, also for connections between rooms or locations. With a compact 1U, half-rack size, two units can be rack-mounted side by side. They can also be easily placed on a table or screwed under a shelf with the included mounting bracket.
(external link to Youtube)
Stream your corporate announcements or business reports live to employees or shareholders
The VS-R264/VS-R265 makes it easy to live-broadcast corporate announcements and business reports to a dedicated target audience like your employees or shareholders or stream them widely to the internet. By recording such live events, you can upload them later to the company website.
Ideal for online training or lecture recording
A typical lecture or training session includes content fed from a computer. With a single VS-R264/VS-R265 you can decide whether to process the signal from a camera or the HDMI output signal from the laptop. You could also add a simple HDMI switch to select between both sources. Another possibility is to use a small live video processor with picture-in-picture or side-by-side scaling to record or stream both images at once. Or you can use two VS-R264/VS-R265 devices to record both signals separately and combine them later using video editing software and upload the result to your website or any content provider.
Live streaming of music concerts
Even smaller music venues can afford high-resolution video cameras today. Combining such a camera with an inexpensive video encoder/recorder offers the possibility to record the performance while streaming the event live to YouTube, Facebook Live, or a member area on the venue’s website, for example. This can provide additional income for the band or venue.
Stream your music or sports event to a public viewing site
Using a second VS-R264/VS-R265, you can decode your live stream anywhere in the world to feed a projector or mega display for public screening. The decoder also de-embeds the audio and outputs that high-quality signal via balanced connectors to the sound system.
Live streaming for more transparency in political processes
Many local state and city governments want to improve transparency towards their citizens. One way to accomplish this is to make meeting or committee sessions easily accessible to the public over the internet. Being able to access these sessions via live or on-demand streaming helps citizens to become more aware and involved with the political process, and informed of current affairs. Recording the live-streamed session allows it to be accessible afterwards.
For local governments, live streaming may be a viable alternative to broadcasting on public access or local television.
Live streaming to multiple displays in corporate or conference centre lobbies
Lobby areas in large company offices or conference centres are often equipped with multiple screens displaying live content of a current event or commercials. The VS-R264/VS-R265 can distribute such video content over standard network infrastructure. This eliminates the need for expensive video cable installations and ensures better image quality even in difficult environments.
Reliable AV Streaming With Encoding and Decoding.
When streaming the video signal of your online training session, presentation or event over the network, the VS-R264/VS-R265 is able to encode and downsample the signal according to the target format required for the service you are using. You can choose from several image resolutions and refresh rates or stream directly at 4K/UHD (VS-R265) or Full HD (VS-R264). By using another VS-R264/VS-R265 in a different room or even country, the same stream can be decoded and output to a TV or public viewing screen via HDMI.
Major Streaming Protocols for Popular Online Services.
The Tascam VS-R264/VS-R265 supports standard streaming protocols, including RTMP, RTP/RTSP, HLS as well as Multicast and Unicast to be compatible with a wide range of applications. Multiple streaming protocols can be output at once, enabling simultaneous streaming to multiple video streaming services. You can also choose between unicast and multicast transmission. Unicast sends the stream to one target only while multicast lets you transmit the stream to multiple hosts at once.
Simultaneous Recording and Archiving to SD, USB or Internal Storage.
Professional Audio Without Compromise.
The VS-R264/VS-R265 benefits from Tascam's long-standing experience in the professional audio sector. With its balanced analogue inputs and outputs, configurable output levels and selectable reference levels as well as excellent audio circuits, this AV streaming device interfaces perfectly with any studio environment or permanent installation system. Audio from microphones, mixing consoles, sound processors and other devices can be embedded in the video stream and de-embedded from the stream or directly output to feed a PA system or the distributed sound reinforcement system in a conference center, for example. And there are also mini-jacks available to quickly hook up consumer equipment through unbalanced audio connections.
Change Your Settings Easily Over a Clear Web Interface.
- Encodes, decodes, records and streams in multiple formats – all simultaneously
- Outputs multiple streaming protocols (RTMP, RTSP, HLS) plus 2 × unicast and 1 × multicast in parallel
- Streams Full HD (1920 × 1080p) video signals encoded to H.264 with bit rates up to 30 megabits
- Ideally suited as stand-alone YouTube encoder or for live streaming to other CDNs like DaCast, Facebook, Wowza and others
- Decodes streaming video signals to Full HD (1920 × 1080p)
- HDMI input for cameras and other sources, HDMI output for display devices
- RESTful API for integration into control systems in commercial AV installations
- Balanced analogue input and output for high-quality audio transmission (Euroblock connectors)
- Configurable audio output level and selectable audio reference level for easy integration into almost any environment
- Unbalanced audio input and output for easy interfacing with consumer equipment (3.5-mm stereo mini jacks)
- Audio from analogue sources can be embedded into the stream or separated from a stream to drive sound reinforcement systems
- Recorder function:
- Records video data directly to SD cards
- External video storage on USB 3.0 devices
- Ability to upload files from SD cards or external storage devices to FTP servers
- Clear web interface allows to configure unit settings over the network
- Supports Gigabit Ethernet
- Flexible power supply options:
- over the Ethernet connection (PoE+)
- by an optional AC adapter (Tascam PS-P1220E, sold separately)
- Compact half-rack size (1U)
- Included surface mount bracket allows the unit to be easily installed, for example, directly under a desk
- PS-P1220E AC adapter
- AK-RS1 rackmount shelf for two units to be mounted side by side
New feature with firmware version 1.1.0
- Simultaneous transmission of three streams using the RTMP protocol is now possible. This means, the VS-R can transmit up to eight audio/video streams in total at the same time (3 × RTMP, 1 × HLS, 1 × Multicast, 2 × Unicast, 1 × RTSP).
Note: Streaming performance depends on the performance of the entire system including the network transfer rate.
New features with firmware version 2.0.1
- Recording to internal storage (17 GB) is now possible, maximum file size is 17 GB
- Files recorded to external media can now be as large as 4 GB
- MP4 is now available as recording file format in addition to TS
- H.265 quality/latency is now also selectable as one of four options (High, Normal, Low, Lowest)
- Continuous recording is now possible regardless of the available storage space (a setting allows old files to be automatically deleted when the storage is full)
- RTMP 1/2/3 can now be controlled simultaneously by pressing the STREAM button
|HDMI input||HDMI v1.4a (Type A)|
|HDMI output||HDMI v2.0 (Type A)|
|Input resolutions||1080p@(60, 59.94, 50, 30, 29.97, 25, 24, 23.98)
720p@(60, 59.94, 50)
|Frame rate limit||On/off|
1920 × 1080p
1280 × 720p
950 × 540p
720 × 576p
720 × 480p
640 × 360p
480 × 270p
320 × 180p
|Encoding format||H.264 (baseline, main, high)|
|Encoding bit rates||500 kbit/s to 30 Mbit/s|
|Bitrate control||Variable, constant|
|Key frame interval||0.25–1.00–16.5 s
|Analogue audio inputs (unbalanced)||3.5-mm stereo mini jack|
|Nominal input level||–10 dBV|
|Maximum input level||+6 dBV|
|Analogue audio inputs (balanced)||Euroblock, 3.81 mm pitch|
|Nominal input level||+4 dBu (Ref. level other than –9 dBFS)
+6 dBu (Ref. level –9 dBFS)
|Maximum input level||+15 dBu (Ref. level –9 dBFS)
+18 dBu (Ref. level –14 dBFS)
+20 dBu (Ref. level –16dBFS)
|Analogue audio outputs (balanced)||Euroblock, 3.81 mm pitch|
|Nominal output level||+4 dBu|
|Maximum output level||+15 dBu (Ref. level –9 dBFS)
+18 dBu (Ref. level –14 dBFS)
+20 dBu (Ref. level –16 dBFS)
|Analogue audio outputs (unbalanced)||3.5-mm stereo mini jack|
|Nominal output level||–10 dBV|
|Maximum output level||+6 dBV|
|Output gain||–∞, –72 dB to +6 dB (1-dB steps)|
|Audio codec||AAC, 64–512 kbit/s, 32/44.1/48 kHz|
|Storage media||Internal, SD/SDHC card, USB drive|
|USB connector||USB 2.0, USB 3.0, type A|
|Recording formats||MPEG2-TS, MPEG4|
|Recording bit rates||500 kbit/s to 30 Mbit/s|
|Video transport protocols||RTMP/RTMPS, RTSP, HLS, RTP/UDP in Unicast and Multicast (some servers that use the RTMP protocol do not support H.265)|
|Simultaneous Streaming||1 × RTMP/RTMPS, 1 x RTSP, 1 x HLS, 2 × Unicast, 1 × Multicast|
|Streaming bit rates||500 kbit/s to 30 Mbit/s|
|Network connectivity||Gigabit Ethernet|
|User interface||Full-featured web UI designed for tablet and desktop computers enables encoder and decoder configuration for unicast, multicast and RTMP|
|IP configuration||DHCP (default), static|
|Command and control protocol||HTTP, auto-detect and discover other Tascam encoder and decoder units on subnet|
|Power supply and other specifications|
|Power supply||PoE+ or Tascam PS-P1220E AC adapter (sold separately)|
|Power consumption||12.2 W|
|Dimensions (W × H × D, including protrusions)||214 mm × 45 mm × 136 mm|
|Operating temperature range||0–40 °C|
|Included items||Installation brackets, Euroblock plugs, cable band kit, USB memory with discovery app and reference manual, dust covers for RJ-45, USB, and HDMI connectors, Quick Start guide with warranty information|
Design and specifications subject to change without notice.